Futakotamagawa

2005/08/16

Travel diary
Shiny Japan 2005
Day ten - August 16

Photography Museum Ebisu, Yoyogi Park, Shinjuku, Iidabashi

The air condition in the hotel got broken over night, but because I slept so well I only woke in the morning with soaking wet night clothes while wondering if I had become sick since my body turned so hot and uncomfortable.

That wasn't the only experience I made that morning. I was sitting in the hotel lobby on my sofa and the floor under my feet began shaking slightly. Even the pictures on the wall couldn't stand still. After a couple of irritating seconds I realized that it was my first encounter with an earthquake. I seem to have overslept another one days ago but this one was little bit stronger. An experience you'll never forget. For heaven's sake it didn't strike hard in Tokyo. Even minutes after the shake I thought that the sofa was moving and my stomach without calm. Why was that so surprising for me? I have to say that where I live noticeable quakes are very rare. I heard about it so many times (especially in Japan) but it never happened to me before.

Because all my destinations where reachable by JR Line I bought a Tokunai Pass for 730 Yen, a day pass for all JR lines in Tokyo. So you can get off whenever you want and how often you want without paying more. Good for travellers or passengers who often (about more than 6 times) pass the ticket gates within a day.

Going to Ebisu by Yamanote Line wasn't a difficult task. I finally got into the Photography Museum in the Yebisu Garden Palace, an expensive looking shopping arcade... "Post-war / Pre-war Japan" and "How Photos can change people's viewpoint" where really impressing exhibitions showing insightful and historical photos of Japan long before I was born.

Surfing at the nearby excite broadband internet station was kinda cheap. No matter what you buy at the convenience store next door -- they seem to be linked in some way -- you can surf an hour for free. That gave me time to chat with a friend in Taiwan telling her about my trip.

Taking the Yamanote train to the near Yoyogi Park was hassle-free. I took a round in the park, enjoying the nature in downtown Tokyo. On that romantic hot summer day mosquitoes seemed to be my only enemies. Couples relaxed, dancers and street artists were here to practice their talents. It was an almost too idyllic place.

A short trip to the Kinokuniya book store in Shinjuku was rather disappointing because no teller machine at any bank there accepted my Maestro card for picking up cash. Credit card fees for cash are too high so I decided to get some money at a post office ATM later on.


I was not that easy to get my desired Japanese lecture book and the kind woman in the bookstore told me in perfect keigo that it was not available and I have to wait 2 weeks if ordering it. Since my flight was sooner I kindly asked her where I might get it. After a phone call to the other branch of nearer to Shinjuku station she said I should go there. I have to admit that I could only understand half of the words she said and she didn't seem to be amused to repeat her words (still in Japanese) but in the end I got what I want.


I somehow noticed that bookstore clerks don’t smile that often. Especially that lady didn't smile at all... uncommon though... too busy even in Japan to serve a Gaikokujin? Well, she surely had many customers to serve.

The day ends with a dinner at around Iidabashi where my friend Sanae worked. After walking around for a while I decided to give Okonomiyaki a try. It wasn't famous but at least it tasted like something. Since it is originally from Osaka you should try it in the Kansai area (my own experience, believe me). That's the last time I should see her this time... later more.


Arriving at the hotel at 21:30 the day wasn't already over as expected. At 22h we started an unofficial roof party with other backpackers and foreign hotel guests. The front guy said as quoted "don't tell the owner" and as long as we are quiet it's ok or the like. It was really fun talking with other travellers and having fun.

There was Karl from Atlanta who taught English in Kumamoto, Kyushu for two years and stays his last days in Tokyo before going back to America for good. Melanie (from N.Y as I remember?) living in Canada who collected Japanese children books and missed her flight back and got upgraded on the next one. Sam from Australia on his way to his study abroad in France and other from France, Australia and US... lots of interesting people. Maybe this kind of people makes travelling such a wonderful thing. Meeting new people and making new friends in a foreign location has something to do with freedom you could never feel in other situations. A unique feeling for granted.

1 Comments:

  • It depends on your interests. If you are into big cities, skyscrapers and you're the first time in Japan it's definitely Tokyo.

    If you are interested in culture and ancient style Japan it's probably Kyoto.

    I haven't been to all over Japan yet but Hokkaido should be very scenic.

    Hiroshima is cool too.

    By Blogger airone, at 1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home